Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Racing Legend Jeff Gordon Announces Retirement

Last Thursday, racing legend Jeff Gordon announced that after the 2015 season, he will be retiring from being a full time NASCAR driver. Gordon has won four NASCAR championships in his 23-year career in the #24 car, with Rick Hendrick as the team owner. Last year was one of Gordon's best seasons in years, coming out of it with four wins including the Brickyard 400. Gordon has become known as one of the biggest racing legends since Dale Earnhardt SR. He won 58 races before his 30th birthday, and collected four championships in seven years. Gordon also has 3 Daytona 500 wins, and 5 Brickyard 400 wins. Jeff Gordon made his debut in the last race of 1992, which was even more memorable because it was the last race for Petty. He is also third in career victories just behind Hall of Fame drivers Richard Petty and David Pearson. He also earned the nickname "Rainbow Warrior" for the majestic colors used on his car. Race car driver Kyle Busch once said during a press conference that "it looked like a care bear threw up on his car".

My whole family and I have followed Gordon through his whole racing career, and besides Dale Earnhardt SR., Gordon has been my favorite driver. In fact I got to meet Jeff Gordon when I was 4 years old at the same race that Dale Earnhardt SR. died at ( according to my dad). I don't remember much because I was only 4 at the time, but I remember riding in Jeff Gordon's car before the race. The only way that was made possible was through the Shriners hospital, which I went to because I needed surgery on my feet. I will be very sad to not see Jeff Gordon in the #24 after this race season. Although he is stepping down from racing, he is going to stay involved with the his team and the company.    

   

  

4 comments:

  1. You know I'm not a fan of Jeff Gordon. I believe in my heart that Kyle Busch is the best driver ever to step face on this earth. But hey its cool that Jeff Gordon is retiring this year. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm not a fan of Jeff Gordon. I believe in my heart that Kyle Busch is the best driver ever to step face on this earth. But hey its cool that Jeff Gordon is retiring this year. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is heart breaking that Jeffery is retiring. I believe that Danica Patrick is the best Nascar driver ever. Jeffery will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your just saying that because shes the only woman in history to race in NASCAR. Oh, and by the way his names Jeff not Jeffery.

      Delete